Thursday, December 25, 2014

Christmas Day Advent



Well, this is it! Today is Christmas day! It’s what all these devotions have been leading up to, and why we celebrate all month long! How exciting!! 

Except...

Well, has Christmas ever been anti-climactic for you? As a kid, it NEVER was, because we got presents! Then as an older teen, when I began really digging into my own relationship with Christ, it took on new meaning.  I held great value to both Christmas and Easter day for spiritual reasons, and for the closeness with Christ’s experiences I suddenly felt. Now in my adult life, I have had great years spiritually, and also very anti-climactic years... Last year was anti-climactic for several reasons... number one, we didn’t have a home (that’ll do it!). But the number two reason (and probably the more important reason) is that I did nothing to prepare my heart for Christmas. Instead I just counted on the "magic of the season" to sweep me off my feet! And...
It didn’t...

It was still a nice time of year with family and friends, but I left the season...empty... somehow... And it was because I didn’t take time to invest in Christ.  I didn't take time to worship him, and to truly be in relationship with my savior at this time of year that ought to be ONLY about him!

I have a friend who just recently bought a house. She is single, but her family has in-laws now and they share Christmas day, much the way our family does (alternating who gets Christmas day each year). She was sharing with me (slightly down-heartedly) that “I guess this year I’ll just have a missionary Christmas (A.K.A poor person Christmas), and worship God, read the bible and stuff like that”...we both immediately laughed at her comment, because we BOTH knew in our hearts that this was the absolute BEST way to spend Christmas day!! With the guy whose  birthday we are celebrating in the first place! How lucky for her!
But really, how lucky for all of us...

We are all without excuse! It doesn’t matter where you are today. Alone, with family, out in public, you are allowed to open the bible today. If people object, you can actually make THEM feel bad about it (don't try too hard though), since this is such an obviously religious holiday. Pull out your bible. READ the story. Pray. Spend time with your creator (who made a way for you to even SPEND time with him.) That is what today is all about! It’s about God on earth to be close to the people he created. So lets spend time with Him!


Wow! Now I am getting more excited! What a thrill that we get a whole day off work to spend time with our God, together in community!! I think you can probably catch the uniqueness of this once-a-year opportunity that I am talking about. Easter is far more somber as we celebrate both a death and a life, and all the tremendous theology that goes along with that holiday... It is special and very significant in it's own right, but at Christmas, we simply celebrate Christ, and being with God. It’s really that simple, and so we ought to take advantage of that today!

I am a firm believer that on certain days of the year, it is just...EASIER to talk to God... I think it has a lot to do with how close and present the holy spirit is. Who knows! Your neighbors might be having a prayer party, or maybe the house down the street! But the reality is, families dust off their bibles today, and pray for the first time this year. People really usher in the holy spirit today. So please, take advantage of the fact that God is in the area these days, and spend some good quality time with him. That Is what Christmas is all about.... God with us... So lets be with him today...

Today I am not going to post the Christmas story. I am not even gonna throw bible verses at you... That is up to you to do today actually. You need to open up your bible and take a look for yourself! If you decide to read Luke 2, do me a favor and read luke 1 as well! I just love that it gives us a glimpse of old-testament ways, and the laws we were free’d from, in John the baptist’s dad’s experience. It's a great way to bring back the significance of all the "God with us" moments in Luke 2!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05Y-Px39cm4

here is a song for you if you need it. Mercy Me—God with us.... This is what Immanuel means! This is NOT a Christmas song, but it is a worship song, and I believe it contains a very holistic picture of what Christmas is about, right down to Christ’s death and our freedom from sin. If you need one, let this be a starting point to your worshiping God today.

Dear God, here we are! It's your day. God I know this isn't ACTUALLY the day you were born on, but I still thank you that the world stops for a moment to acknowledge the day you came to the earth.  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTOYekVnDsg  (Future of Forestry --The earth Stood Still). God thank you that the earth stopped for a moment that night as it's creator dwelled on it's dust once more... SO long God...you hadn't walked on your earth since adam and eve's days, during perfection! Yet here you came, once again...to be with us! Even though we are so covered in sin! Thank you God.... There are no words to say right now...You came. You really came for us... Thank you for the hope that Christmas represents, yet to come at Easter. Thank You! Thank you that just as the Israelite waited for you, and some had faith to truly see you, we are also waiting for you! Thank you that you are coming back! Lord, may we be ready to see you just like Joseph, Mary, the shepherds, the Magi, Zechariah and Elizabeth, and the prophets... please Lord, open our eyes. Strengthen our faith and our boldness in you. Lord you came to earth to be with us... help us to grow discipline to give you our time, just as you gave us yours. Help us learn to hear your voice. Help us learn how to walk in your ways, and feel your heart for people. Help us to grow in the courage necessary to act in faith on the things you put on our heart Lord... Please... We offer up our spirits to you today and ask that you make us clean once again, and bring us to a holy place today Lord... Your will...Amen...

No comments:

Post a Comment